viernes, 14 de febrero de 2014

3 steps to planning backwards

I'm currently reading "Understanding by Design" by Grant Wiggins and Jay McTighe.  They give the following example (I won't quote it directly, but here's a paraphrase):
A 3rd grade class have a unit on apples where they read stories, do art projects, learn songs,    analyse scientific properties, and mathematically expand a recipe and all of it's centered around apples.  Sounds fun right?  

But what are they really learning?
Think about it...I couldn't really see.  I mean yes, they learned about apples I guess, but that isn't really something you put in the curriculum.  So basically they had fun, which is good, but, sorry to say, not the main purpose of school.

What they say is that there are basically 3 steps to planning:
1. Identify desired results
2. Determine acceptable evidence
3. Plan learning experiences and instruction
(p18)
...IN THAT ORDER

How many of us really do that, I wonder?
   

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario