viernes, 25 de julio de 2014

Challenging my assumptions

In most of my work, I seem to be making the following assumptions:
  1. That "traditional" teacher-centered instruction kills the desire for independant learning.
  2. That the "best" students in the traditional system are those who can spit out memorised facts, and that these very students cannot think creatively or analytically.
  3. That games, by placing the player directly in the action and giving him or her the possibility to impact the game, encourage deeper learning, creativity and analysis.
  4. That the deeper learning introduced by games will lead students to pursue knowledge on their own.
  5. That being in a position to teach others will encourage the student to learn more about the subject.
I'm about to find out how true this is.  I'm planning to teach my human rights games to a group of university students here in Ecuador, then have them host the games for a group of high schoolers. 

Both the university and the high school students are mainly fairly affluent middle-upper middle class students, and both institutions claim to impart Catholic values. 

To begin with, I'd like to find out answers to the following questions by means of a group interview with the university students:
  • What global issues concern you most?  What do you know about them?  What ideas do you have about how to solve them?
  • What was your high school education like?  Did you get good marks?  Did you enjoy high school?
  • How do you think people learn best?
  • Have you ever studied something alone or with friends that was totally unrelated to school?
  • What were your family's attitudes toward education?  Did they focus on getting good grades or on something else?
My question then is whether teaching them the games with a view to having them teach them to the high school students will spur them on to reading up on the issues (of human rights, teaching or game development) on their own, or whether they will simply follow my orders.

Whether my hypotheses are proven true or not, I still think both sets of students will benefit and enjoy the project.

Plus, then I'll be able to make a more rational decision about my own daughter's education, ie: given that the students I'll be working with are supposedly the best and brightest, having gone to the best schools in the country, is it worth sending my daughter to one of these schools if she will turn out like them?

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario