martes, 14 de enero de 2014

Using games to teach game design

Most books on games use descriptions of existing or commissioned games to illustrate whatever point they're trying to make on how games are designed. 
But what if the reader were required to play their way through the book in order to understand the concepts?  After all, I give teaching workshops in which the teachers get to experience the activities themselves before I explain how and why they work.  Would the same idea be possible in a book? 
I've already written a book about lesson planning in which the reader gets to see and imagine the lessons step-by-step before seeing their rationale. 
What if I could design each of those games myself?  That's the harder challenge, for me anyway: to custom design a game that could be played in class (or visualised by the lone reader) for each concept.

Right now, the challenge I've set myself is to come up with a game to show how important emotion is in a game.  Ready to play?

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario